Thursday, October 3, 2013

Blog Assignment WK. 5

Power dynamics are often at play in the workplace, where your boss determines the nature of your work and can fire, promote, or transfer you (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2012, p. 226).

I had just received a promotion at my job (NYCHA).  So I was transfer to another site. A workplace is just like a home.  The workplace needs a plan, schedule, and cooperation from everyone that is in the setting.

I came to the site with the 3R’s and NVC to the workplace.  However, there are some workers that do not like change, and there are some who would not cooperate with other employees. There was one employee that refused to cooperate with the new development.

The first strategy I chose was to compromise with this employee because her role (food monitor) was just as necessary to the program and need to be respect.  However, her attitude and work still showed poor performance practices, for example; She was skipping out from the program before the food would be delivered.  The snacks and meals were not ready for the children.  This employee continues with her poor behavior habits.

Therefore, my second strategies I chose were to have a meeting with the minds.  We had a sit down meeting with her, her boss and my boss and I, in all due fairness; I wanted to know how she felt.  Did she want a transfer? What is her expectation of her work and what goal she had for her part.

  The employee thanks me for listening to her cause and the effect of her performance.  I thank her for letting me know how she felt about responsibility.

As we began to get back on schedule, I signed her up as a volunteer because she wanted to be apart of the program. The Spelling Bee Contest was coming up, and we worked with the children as a team. We won that year for the 2006, 5grade spelling bee.

We no longer work together anymore. I had a promotion for another site, as well as this employee, but when I see her, she gives me the biggest hug.

Most of my colleagues call me for advice about handling conflicts.  Some companies do not give training about the 3R’s and NVC, or how to handle conflicts in the workplace.  However, I believed your workplace is like running your home. For instance, the 3R’s and NVC must be implemented right from the start.  Assertive people are generally effective at handling conflicts because they do not let negative emotions like anxiety, guilt, or embarrassment get in the way and they stand up for what they believe is right (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2012, p. 237).



Reference:

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin.

 Rosenberg, M. (2010, 05 27). The center for nonviolence communication. Retrieved from http://www.cnvc.org/learn/nvc-foundations



No comments:

Post a Comment